Check out uTest 3.0
Click the thumbnails below to see a larger screenshot.
New Sign-In Page
Customer Welcome Screen
Test Cycle List
After months of hard work, we’re excited to announce version 3.0 of our testing platform. This is much more than a simple refresh or a minor upgrade — this is a full-blown rewrite of our testing platform, from the UI design, some cool new features, back through the code and a new, open architecture. And it’s all based upon feedback from customers, testers and all we’ve learned from 1,000+ test cycles in the past 18 months.
Our goal was to produce a faster, more usable, more powerful experience for uTest customers and testers alike.
So what’s new?
- User Interface: Our new UI was designed to provide a simpler, richer, more interactive experience with more intuitive navigation from bug-to-bug or test-cycle-to-test-cycle
- Improved Infrastructure: Our new architecture enables better scalability and, more importantly to you, is designed to provide improved performance (with faster page load times) around the world
- API and Integration: Our new and open APIs will enable us to rapidly expand our offering and better integrate with our customers, partners and third-party app developers
What’s in it for you? If you’re a customer, keep reading. To check out what’s new for testers, you can skip down to the tester features.
Once our customers get past our sleek new UI, we hope they notice the great new features and changes we’ve included. Two features are really important.
First, we’ve built a new test cycle wizard. Creating a clear, concise test cycle is the most important thing a customer can do to ensure success, but there are a lot of details required to make a test cycle perfect. Our new wizard makes this process easy, making sure each part of the test cycle is well-documented.
Second, we’ve greatly enhanced our tester rating system. Our platform will evaluate the past performance of each tester based upon activity levels (# of test cycles participated in, # of bugs reported, # of test cases completed) and the quality of that activity (bug approval %) and, once we have enough data points, we’ll assign them a rating. Testers who are in the top 20% of all rated testers will receive a gold, silver, or bronze rating.
Some of the other new features we’ve added in v3.0:
Advanced Coverage Report
- Resizable Columns – On any table or list, all columns can be re-sized and re-arranged by customers using a simple drag-and-drop.
- Tester Messenger - Enhanced tester messaging tools help you communicate with testers to get what you need from each bug report
- Testing Coverage Reports – Be confident that you’ve covered every corner of your testing matrix with our new coverage reports. You’ll know what’s been tested and what still needs to be tested in a single informative report
- Easier Filtering – All test cycles and bugs can be easily filtered to find exactly the information you need
- Smart CSV Exporting – Export a CSV file with just the information you need about your bugs or your test cycles
- Multiple Users – Add multiple members of your testing organization easily with our new account management tools
Besides the new UI, we’ve added a lot of cool new features for our uTester community. However two features are really huge for testers. The first is our new test cycle wizard that helps testers review test cycles more easily and completely, as well as telling uTest whether or not they intend to participate in that test cycle. Now when a tester checks out a test cycle, they will be able to indicate whether or not they want to join.
Our second big feature is a new & improved tester ratings system. In the past, testers were rated with a star system based upon subjective customer feedback. Starting today, testers who are active will earn a rating and a “Rated” badge. This shows that these testers are actively participating in test cycles contributing their expertise to the uTest marketplace. Additionally, those testers who are in the top 20% of our rated testers will receive a gold, silver, or bronze badge. The remaining testers will receive a “Rated” badge. Testers who are not active or for whom there is not enough data will not receive a badge. New testers will receive a “New” badge.
A tester’s rating will depend on many factors including total activity and recent activity (# of cycles participated in, # of bugs reported, # of test cases completed), as well as the quality of that participation (bug approval %, test case approval %, and accuracy in specifying bug types and severity).
Other great new features include:
- Resizable Columns – For any table or list, all columns can be re-sized and re-arranged using a simple drag-and-drop. For example, a tester can move the test cycle name to be in the first column with a width that displays the entire test cycle name
- Tester Messenger – Enhanced communication tools between testers, uTest project management and customers
- Easier Filtering – All test cycles and bugs are easily filtered. For example, testers may filter bugs by “My Bugs Only,” status, severity, and by test cycle; even for closed test cycles
- Clearer Test Cycles – All test cycles are formatted in a more digestible way to help testers more easily and completely review each test cycle
- Improved Attachments – Bug attachment size limit has been raised from 5MB to 10MB (there is a limit of three attachments per bug). Also, more file types are permitted for upload.
- Smarter Emails - Cleaner, more informative notification emails from the uTest platform
Our engineers and product managers have worked countless hours putting together version 3.0, but we also want to thank our customers and testers for their countless ideas and insights. As we continue to improve and refine our platform, we are always open to thoughts and ideas about how to make our product better.
Have a great idea for our future product releases? Testers should join our testing forums and check out our Platform Feedback section. Customers can contact their project manager or drop us a line.